Advocacy to Major National Education Organizations and Associations
The goals of advocacy outreach to major national education organizations and associations are to:
- Educate the organization and their members on what NIE is and what it does to support teachers, students, and schools,
- Encourage articles about NIE in their publications and newsletters,
- Connect their members to Institute members throughout the country,
- Understand the needs of the groups and their members so NIE can better serve them by being more relevant,
- Develop NIE curriculum specific to current needs and focus areas identified,
- Develop partnership opportunities, and
- Disseminate useful information to Institute members on educational trends, research, and instructional resources from these groups.
Recent outreach to these groups include:
U.S. Department of Education
- Partnered together to publish a supplement for ESTEME Week.
The program included funding for Institute members to print the supplement
in their local market. (ESTEME - Excellence in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Education Week).
- Met with Assistants to the Secretary of
Education to educate them about NIE and our
NCLB/Reading First initiatives.
National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- Met with the Executive Director and Publications Director to educate them on NIE. This led to the creation of a new standards-based Social Studies teacher
guide based on the NCSS 10 Thematic Standards.
- The Institute presented at the annual NCSS conference.
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Met with their Communications Director to discuss
- NCTM supplied a small grant to the Institute to support the ESTEME Week project.
Reading is Fundamental (RIF)
- A partnership with RIF led to the serialization of Alice in Wonderland. We are discussing partnering on additional serial stories that will be distributed free to Institute members.